Sophie Hobson is the founding editor of LondonlovesBusiness.com. Follow her @sophiehobson and @londonlovesbiz.
Sophie has spent the best part of the last decade interviewing hundreds of entrepreneurs and business leaders, and exploring the mechanisms of business growth. She’s driven by the power business has to create social change, and believes that the future of enterprise depends on sustainability and diversity. She’s fascinated by tech, retail, and the teeming menagerie of wonders that is London.
Sophie has been a commentator on business issues and the London economy for the BBC, Wall Street Journal, LBC Radio and the Londonist, and has written for The Mirror, ITV, South London Press and Travel Weekly.
Before launching LondonlovesBusiness.com, Sophie was one of the founding team of Smarta.com, which she helped build to become the UK’s leading small business advice website.
Tech - it’s one of the most exciting sectors in the UK, and it’s seeing a staggering amount of growth.So to make it to the top of the pile in technology is quite something.And these five companies have shown that they have what it takes. They are the fastest-growing tech companies in the UK, according to a competition run by The Next Web, judged on actual revenue, traffic and employee data that shows the growth rate between 2011 and 2013.Companies must also have been laun
Google’s shares dropped 6% on Wednesday, the equivalent of $22bn in value.Google’s first quarter profits actually rose by 3% to $3.45bn (£2.05bn), but the markets are worried that it is falling behind on advertising and mobile revenues.Profits and revenue (which grew to $15.4bn for the three-month period) were also behind analysts’ expectations.Investors were spooked by a fall in cost-per-click (CPC) ad revenue, which fell 9%.CPC revenue has been hit by the fact mo
The UK’s Fairtrade chocolate category is exploding
- Sophie Hobson: The most shocking thing about Google reading our emails is that we’re not more shocked
- Forget the horses - it's the food that makes a day at Ascot unforgettable
- More people are going online to buy legal and illegal drugs – and the UK is leading the trend
- Sophie Hobson: Cameron has appointed the first Asian man to the cabinet, but it is still dangerously undiverse
- This amazing biological battery can fully charge a dead phone in 26 seconds
- UK will grow faster than all other G7 countries in 2014, says IMF
- This is Maria Miller’s resignation letter – and Cameron’s response