Saturday Tube strike cancelled

This weekend’s Tube strike is now off, RMT says

The RMT union is really messing around with Londoners’ travel plans.

This week alone the union has called off strikes protesting the introduction of the Night Tube, then threatened another seven strikes in the coming months, and now, at the 11th hour on a Friday afternoon, RMT has called off the strike they had planned in response to ticket office closures.

It’s hard to keep abreast of it all.

The strike they have called off was due to begin on Saturday evening and last for 48-hours. It would have seriously impacted commuters on Monday morning.

A union spokesperson confirmed the strike had been called off.

Steve Griffiths, London Underground’s Chief Operating Officer, said: “I welcome the RMT’s decision to call off the strike action and end this dispute. Our station modernisation programme now continues, with our changes meaning a more personal service for customers, and record numbers of staff in public areas visible and available to help customers where they need it most.

“As we’ve always promised, we’re delivering these improvements with no compulsory redundancies, no-one being asked to work more hours or lose any pay, as well as continued focus on work-life balance within rosters. In addition, around 900 staff are either being promoted or securing permanent roles with London Underground, having previously been employed on fixed term contracts.”

This is a breaking news story. We will update this page when we know more.

Now read

Social Bookmarks