RMT calls off Bank Holiday rail strike

Unions considering new pay offer

The planned strike over the Bank Holiday has been suspended by the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) workers.

The strike was averted after Network Rail offered a new pay deal to the unions. RMT’s Executive Committee is now considering this offer.

The strike was meant to be the first strike by National Rail workers in 20 years. If the walk-out went ahead, more than 90% of trains would have been cancelled.

In a statement, RMT general secretary Mick Cash, said: “After four days of talks at conciliation service Acas between your union and Network Rail management, the company has tabled a revised offer. Your Executive Committee has considered this offer and decided to suspend all industrial action which had been scheduled to take place on Monday 25th May and Tuesday 26th May 2015.

“The suspension of the action will give your Executive Committee an opportunity to hold urgent consultations with your Area Council Representatives next week.

“Further information with regards to the revised offer will be sent to you in due course.

“Please work your shifts, overtime and all other additional hours as normal next week.”

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association (TSSA) rail union, said: “Our negotiating team at ACAS has received a revised offer from Network Rail. As a result of this, they have suspended the planned industrial action, pending the outcome of a meeting of our workplace representatives next week.”

 

Now read

 

Readers' comments (1)

Social Bookmarks