London Bridge incident: “It wasn’t a fluke, something stinks!” says husband of victim  

The husband of one of the people taken ill on Tuesday morning in London Bridge Station has accused authorities of covering up a potentially graver safety risk, like a gas or chemical leak.

This comes after reports surfaced that four people had been taken ill in London Bridge station, with police dismissing claims of a gas leak after the station was investigated by firefighters.   

Speaking to, John O’Sullivan, whose 46-year-old wife Lisa had to be taken to hospital that morning after fainting at the station, expressed disbelief at the extent of the emergency services response.

“Police cars and ambulances were all over the place. They weren’t treating it as a fluke, they were treating it as a major incident! The reaction of what was going on when I was there was not the norm.

“I find it quite extraordinary that authorities of any kind can come in and dismiss this as a fluke. Something stinks! I’m very sceptical. I wonder whether someone had burst a pipe and there were toxic fumes everywhere.”

O’Sullivan says he received a phone call about the incident and rushed to the scene to see his wife.

“Loads of ambulances and fire engines turned up at the building and they were running around with these machines checking the air…station managers were running around like blue houseflies doing chemical checks,” says O’Sullivan.

In contrast to reports, O’Sullivan claims there were five people who had been taken ill - not four. He is unsure whether his wife was one of the five counted, but insists that one of the victims “died on the scene and had to be resuscitated on the platform”. Two others collapsed on platform 6 and platform 8, he added.

“One person had a major attack and died but was resuscitated. Four collapsed. My wife Lisa, and the other person that died and was resuscitated were on the same platform,” says O’Sullivan.

“These people all collapsed at the same time. That tells me it’s not a fluke.”

O’Sullivan expressed further doubt on reports that it was a simple bout of illness among travellers as his own wife “has never fainted before”.

He said that his wife had fainted and was helped by station staff to get outside.

“The station staff were exemplary at looking after her, they were very good.

“They managed to get her into the fresh air where she collapsed again because she tried to walk to hospital but she never made it outside the station so the station staff stayed with her.

“When I got there, I jumped on the train and was at the station with her and was looking after her. My wife was shaking her legs and arms and shivering.

“They turned around and came up with a thing like you’re drinking too much caffeine.

“My wife doesn’t drink a lot of caffeine. She’s 46. She’s never ill. Very rarely does she get things like flu, she has never fainted.”

O’Sullivan’s wife was discharged at 13.10 and is now at home resting, but remains under constant watch.

It would be nice to find out what really happened today, as i feel we have not heard the last of today’s incident,” O’Sullivan said.

A London Ambulance spokesman told that four people had been assessed at the scene, with three taken to hospital. Two were found on Overground platforms and two on Underground platforms.

The passengers were all taken ill at around 8.39am due to feeling “a bit headache-y, hot and feeling a bit unwell”, according to the spokesman.

However, understands from Network Rail sources that five people reported feeling unwell and required medical attention – with three in London Bridge station and two in the Tube station.

A Network Rail spokesman said:

“At no point did anyone report a gas leak or was there a gas leak.

“We didn’t check for a gas leak but we also didn’t check for an alien invasion!”

“London is a city of 8 million people, sometimes they require medical attention. At no point was the station evacuated.”

Social Bookmarks